The world is seriously changing rapidly and for the better. This really hit me this week when I stood in front of a bunch of industry people and reflected back to about 10 years ago. Oh how my working world was different.
WhiteNow present year after year to the fresh, keen audiences at the GMDC (the Gaming Managers Development Course). This year we presented to about 70 eager beavers on the same topic as we are asked to deliver every year – ‘Designing an Effective Resume’. Every time we deliver, the presentation has to change as the world progresses. The only thing that doesn’t change is that I still wear the same old Wizard outfit that I have been wearing for years ! It is pretty ridiculous but I think it has the desired outcome which is that everyone remembers the presentation from ‘that loud lady in the purple Wizard outfit’. It’s really interesting though to reflect on what we presented today and what we presented just 10 years ago. Looking back on the notes from 2006 I see that some of the topics include things like;
- The best colour paper to print your resume on for faxing (this one is funny – White Now haven’t owned a fax for the past 8 years);
- How to draft the ideal fax cover sheet so it stands out (I don’t even remember how to do that now);
- The best ways to bind a resume for posting;
- How to professionally label an envelope with a professionally; printed label …PLUS placing stamps neatly on envelopes; AND
- How to send a certified letter to the employer (sending resumes was really quite expensive back then).
Oh how the world has changed. This year we talked about totally different things including;
- Locking down your social media pages;
- Being careful about what you say online on blogs, LinkedIn Groups etc;
- Googling yourself often;
- Preparing your LinkedIn File and gaining recommendations;
- Online networking; AND
- ‘Talent Sourcing’.
Oh how the world has changed in just 10 years. I am so glad that our team are all like minded in the fact that we move with the times and often faster than the times. One thing I do know about what we do 10 years on is that we are a whole lot more efficient with changes in technology. Faxing resumes used to be so damn time consuming let alone receiving at least 220 resumes a week via fax. The savings in reams of paper is incredible in itself.
Do you want to be efficient in the way you get yourself noticed in this industry ? Get yourself online and especially on LinkedIn. Your FUTURE colleagues are on LinkedIn so start networking with them in this virtual world so that when you meet them in person, you already have a relationship ! Connect with me on LinkedIn too – I would love to share some virtual space with you. Connect with me, Jenny White, on LinkedIn here.
Also, a big shout out to Leagues Clubs Australia and Aristocrat for their amazing support of the GMDC year after year. You guys are incredible ! THANK YOU !
From Jenny White and the team at www.whitenow.com.au